Alexa can be linked with almost every smart device in the world today. You can easily use this device to take advantage of thousand features and give voice commands to control everything from smart lights to switches. So, whenever you move towards such options, there can be some complications with the integration. Make sure you stick with your device and help it solve the problem. But have you recently seen your Alexa not turning on lights?
The latest issue many users are facing is that Alexa stopped controlling lights. If you’ve been wondering why is Alexa not turning on the lights, you’ve come to the right place. This can be confusing for users, but thankfully, there are some ways to troubleshoot the issue. If you want to enjoy voice control features, read out the blog thoroughly.
Why is Alexa not turning on the lights?
Don’t you worry! You have the best quick-fix guide all across the web! If Alexa won’t turn on the lights, it’s most likely to be a problem related to the participant device. This can impact the Amazon application, which you can refer to as a software issue. If Alexa is not controlling the lights it can be due to power issues with the bulb. The problem can also occur because of the Alexa application or smart interference. There can be bulb slot issues that you must inspect. Let’s learn more about it and see how we can fix Alexa not turning on lights issue.
If your Alexa device has stopped controlling the lights, you can check out the points below:
- Problem With Light Bulb– If lights connected to the Alexa app are not receiving the power, they won’t turn on with your voice commands.
- Application bug- A problem with the Alexa app can also be the reason why Alexa won’t turn on the lights.
- An Issue With The Schedule– If you have created schedules to turn off or on the lights, some settings of the given schedule could be inappropriate.
This is everything you should know about the causes of why is Alexa not turning on the lights. If you are facing a problem, jump right to the solution below.
Fix Alexa won’t turn on the lights issue
- Check Compatibility & Power- The very first thing you need to do to get Alexa stopped controlling the lights is go over the compatibility list. There are small chances that your smart lights are not compatible with the respective assistant. If you have bought your lights from an off-brand dealer, then might be you are facing the performance issues. The only way to fix that is to get compatible and better smart lights to hook up with your Alexa device. And if you re using branded smart lights, make sure to check the power connection in the next step. The power supply may not be sufficient and that is why Alexa not controlling the lights.
- Update Alexa app- After watching out the compatibility of smart lights, you must check the Alexa application and Alexa-connected device for firmware updates. Minor bugs on the app can create problems and decrease your device’s performance. Fix this control of Alexa over smart lights by updating the app and firmware version. You can simply update the app and if the issue persists, the only option left to you is to update the Alexa device. Here are the steps for reinstalling the Alexa app:
- On your smartphone, open the settings and go to the storage unit.
- Now click on the App button on the application manager.
- Navigate towards the app from the list.
- Click on “Actions” and then tap “Uninstall.”
- So the app is uninstalled. You have to install it again from there.
- After updates, it may run smoothly.
- Power cycle Alexa– If you are running into Alexa won’t turn on the lights issues, you will certainly notice that not only smart lights but other devices are also affected by this problem. All the devices currently connected to Alexa may face some issues. In such a case, an easy fix would be to power cycle Alexa. Here is how to solve Alexa not turning on lights:
- Navigate towards your smart-home speaker.
- Now unplug the power adapter.
- Wait a few minutes with Alexa unplugged.
- Reconnect the power adapter with Alexa’s in power source again.
- Testify if the device is working properly.
- Re-enable skill- The next step to solving the Alexa stopped controlling the lights issue is re-enabling the smart skill on the application. You need to access your smart assistant, Alexa, and remove the smart lights. Once the lights are removed from the units, the skill will be disabled. After this restart the mobile Alexa app once and log into the Amazon account with the correct credentials. You have to enable the skill again now and link it with your Alexa device. This should be enough to give you control back over the lighting system.
- Step away from the router- Physical interference is another reason behind why is Alexa not turning on the lights. If you are stuck in a situation where the Echo is placed close to the router, you may face Alexa won’t turn on the lights issues with the voice commands. The only solutions to this are to eradicate router interference and to move the Echo device away from the router. Some distance is enough to eliminate these functionality issues, and Alexa will be able to perform better with the smart lighting system in your home.
- Restart lights– In some cases, where there is no issue with the Alexa device but the issue lies in smart lights only. The Alexa not turning on lights problem can be solved by restarting the lights. Just remove the power from the connection for few seconds and then connect it again after some time. This will eliminate the bugs and you can try to use Alexa with smart lights again.
- Add Echo again- Last but the least thing, you have to remove the Echo device from the Alexa app. You have to reset the device and add it again. There are chances that your Alexa device might not be working properly and that is why you are facing the Alexa stopped controlling the lights issue. To fix the problem, reset your Echo device with the help of our alexa technical support experts!
Also read : How to connect LED lights and bulbs to the alexa
So after reading this post, you might be aware of the reasons why is Alexa not turning on the lights and what is the solution behind it. Contacting our alexa technical support is the best and time-efficient method of narrowing down the issue of Alexa not turning on lights. If you re still facing the issue and not sure about it, ask your query on the chat box below. Also, you can call our official Helpline number given below. The team is available 24/7 for your convenience.