Amazon Alexa is a great way to control your home devices using voice commands. It has gained a lot of popularity and brand name recognition in recent times. It is the ultimate platform for all home enthusiasts who love to stay connected with their homes over a mobile application or remotely. Not only you can turn your ordinary home into a smart one but can also control certain functions such as opening your garage door. Everyone loves to streamline things and there is no better step towards that than integrating Alexa with MyQ Smart Garage Door Controller by Chamberlain.
Consider the following tips to help you make your garage door into a smart one that can open and close with the help of Alexa Assistant. With the Alexa app and more, you’ll soon be able to say goodbye to the traditional garage door opener and welcome to voice commands!
In this article, we are going to provide you with a detail information on how to connect MyQ to Alexa.
Let`s dig in!
Wondering if Chamberlain MyQ works with Alexa?
Yes, MyQ Garage works with Alexa. The Chamberlain MyQ smart garage opener does not function with Alexa directly. There is, however, a way to use IFTTT to connect MyQ and Alexa to close the garage door with a voice command and incorporate the garage door closing into smart home automation routines.
You can still use MyQ with Alexa by using SimpleCommands as a workaround. To open and close your MyQ smart garage with Alexa, download the SimpleCommands app and sync it with your MyQ and Alexa accounts.
But before we get started, you’ll need the following to get MyQ to operate with Alexa:
- Smartphone or tablet
- MyQ Chamberlain garage door opener
- Amazon Alexa
- Alexa app
- SimpleCommands app
- Internet connection
- About 10-15 minutes of concentration.
How to Connect MyQ to Alexa | Step by Step Instructions
- Go to the Apple App Store or Google Play and install the SimpleCommands app.
- Create a user account. When you’re finished, the app will indicate “Registration Complete.” You’ll receive a verification email, so be sure it’s a valid one. (HINT: make sure to check your spam folder!) My email was marked as spam. You might not even need to register your account with the updated version of the app.)
- Click “Confirm Email” in the verification email (again, you might be able to skip this step)
- Login with your new account in the SimpleCommands app.
- You will be taken to the app’s home screen. Select Add/Remove Items at the bottom, then search for “myQ – openers” and click “Add.” To sync with SimpleCommands, you’ll need to enter your MyQ email address and password.
- Go to the Alexa app, select MORE, and then SKILLS and GAMES.
- Then, you need to search for the skill “kloee for SC” and after that “Enable to Use”. By adding your SimpleCommands email and password, you’ll be asked to enable Alexa access to your account.
- Return to the SimpleCommands app and pick Routines from the Menu (three bars) in the top left.
- Select Create Routine after giving your Routine a name.
- After that, you’ll be asked to select an item from a drop-down menu of all connected devices. Find your MyQ garage door and click Add to add it.
- You need to choose the garage door command you want to manage and then click on Add Command (don’t tamper with any other options given in the settings!).
- You’ll be taken to the Routines page after adding your command, where you should see the Routine you just made! To edit your newly created Routine, click on it.
- Select “Enable Voice Companion Alexa and/or Google Assistant” at the bottom of the Routine edit screen.
- Set Voice Trigger to “Enabled” and then give your voice command a “phrase”!
- Return to Alexa’s app. At the bottom of the screen, select “Devices.”, tap the plus (+) icon given at the top right.
- Select “Add Device” and then, scroll down and tap on “Other“
- Click on “Discover Devices”
- You must see at least “1 scene discovered“. Click on “Done“.
- Return to the Alexa App’s Home Screen and pick “Routines” from the menu.
- Select the plus (+) sign in the top right corner to add a routine.
- Tap the addition (+) icon in the Add action box.
- Select “Smart Home“ and then choose “Control Scene”
- Tap on the scene you just created
- Click “Add“ and then give your Routine a name. Choose “When this happens.” Choose a voice. Put in your voice command here. Save the routine.
- That’s it! You are ready to go!
Alternative to SimpleCommands
There is an alternative way by which you can learn how to connect MyQ to Alexa.
If you want to use MyQ with Alexa but don’t want to use SimpleCommands, you should try If-This-Then-That (IFTTT).
IFTTT is “the free way to have all your apps and devices talking to each other. In a nutshell, it’s a fantastic way for smart home product manufacturers to connect their devices to other devices.
Follow the steps below to add IFTTT to your MyQ account:
On their website or in the app, create or log in to your IFTTT account.
- Log in to your MyQ account on the MyQ services page.
- Tap “Authenticate”.
- Choose “Add Subscription”
- Select “IFTTT”.
- You can choose between the monthly & annual billing.
- If necessary, enter your billing information and complete the order.
- Select “Account Linking” in the MyQ app.
- Choose IFTTT.
The app creates a geofence around your property and utilises your phone’s location to determine if you’re at home or not.
- After you’ve set up MyQ and IFTTT, you’ll use applets to link your garage door opener to Alexa. IFTTT applets connect two devices and perform particular activities.
- To acquire the applet that lets you close the garage door with a voice command, press the connect button and follow the on-screen steps to get the applet. To use IFTTT to connect the two devices, you’ll need to sign in to your Amazon and MyQ accounts.
- Once you have set up the applet, you can close your garage door with the following voice command: “[Your wake word], trigger close garage door.”
If you’re already inside your house and discover you forgot to close the garage door, this is a great option. You can ask your Echo Auto to close your garage door as you drive away.
So there you have it, now you can use Alexa to open and close your garage door. Adding your Chamberlain garage door opener can help supplement the smart home experience and make your life more simpler.
To Wrap up,
Chamberlain and Amazon have teamed up to create the ideal Alexa-compatible garage door opener. This door opener, like other Alexa products is simple to operate. It improves your home’s security while balancing your access requirements. You can pick several family members to have limited control of your garage because Alexa is available on multiple devices. Give yourself peace of mind and the freedom to enjoy your life by converting your home to function with Alexa.
Try these steps and connect your MyQ to alexa in no time. If you are still facing some issue on how to connect MyQ to Alexa , then don’t hesitate to contact our experts by dialing Alexa Customer Support Number +1-872-888-1589. You can even jump into the chat box to communicate with us.